Thursday, July 23, 2009

What I Wore (to Work) Today

Let me explain. For my birthday, N. bought me a fabulous book titled, "What I Wore Today". It's one of those coffee table books depicting ordinray girls taking photos of....yup, you've got it....what they were wearing that day.... It's undeniably every girl's guilty pleasure: checking out other girls, and more importantly, how they pull outfits together.

The book's got me inspired, so I've decided to start blogging every so often about "what I'm wearing today", which is not going to be very often, given the dismal state of my wardrobe..... My "Move to Ireland" wardrobe is definitely not a true presentation of me and comprises of 60% work wear, 15% casual weekend wear, and the rest....is just cheap trackies & sleep wear.

Admittedly, I still struggle with the concept of work clothes. I buy work clothes that I think I should be wearing and not what I would actually like to wear to work. What I mean by that is that I think people I generally work with are +++ straight-laced and cookie cutter boring, so it's almost like my overcompensatory attempt to try and blend in and be professional and serious. The end result (at its worst) is generally the "prissy librarian look". (I recall one time meeting a friend straight after work, and the look on her face said it all. It said "what the fuck are you wearing." (Actually, she also said this out loud too.) Now, it's a little bit better and maybe sometimes bordering on "Geek-Chick-Looks-Through-the-Sales-Rack-as-she-doesn't-want-to-Spend-too-Much-Money-on-Work-Clothes". Inspite of all this, the girls are work still think that I'm funky - if that gives you any indication about the types of personalities that do my kind of job.....

Anyway, what I wore today:
I honestly feel like a totally different person Mon - Fri versus Sat - Sun. Sometimes so much so that I swear that people from work have walked past me and not recognised me.
It's the chain store galore - the anti-thesis of me and what I stand for.

White Collared Shirt: Target
Purple Wool Vest: Mango
High Waisted Black Skirt: Gap
Stockings: Myers, I think.
Accessories: I wear my glasses to work (as it's less of a strain on the eye when I'm on the computer), but mainly because I think that it makes me look more intelligent and gives me more cred when I tell people, "Do this if you don't want to die."
Shoes: Worn black leather Mary Janes, re-heeled about four times now.

Outcome: Closetblonde will never be picked up at work :p (apparently THE most common way people meet their partners.) Who would want to go out with somebody in allied health anyway. Not me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home