Thursday, December 24, 2009

It's Beginning to Feel like a Christmas (Movie).....

19:15 - How good is this? I've turned on my laptop and what a surprise - there's complimentary wifi at Cork airport. I am apprehensive with the recent snow and flight cancellations around the UK. I keep on checking the departures information board to make sure that my Aer Lingus flight to London hasn't been canceled. (It hasn't - yet; but it's delayed by about an hour. ETD 21:20.) Time to get chocolate.

20:13 - Okay, not so good news. Just checked the Easyjet website and the flight from Gatwick to Zurich has been canceled.
The colleagues at work today were joking that I was going to be a blinker light somewhere on the M25 on the coach from Heathrow to Gatwick. Well, not any more.... Have msged S to let him know. We'll reconvene in London and decide what to do next - if I get to London. The Cork to Heathrow flight has been delayed another 30 minutes.

22:10 - Still no sign of the Aer Lingus plane. If it doesn't arrive soon, the tube's going to close and I will have absolutely no idea how to get to Clapham North. I check tfl and the after hours public transport is complicated involving three buses. I msg S to ask him to ask M how to get to M's place. S msges back saying, "I thought you would know how to get around London." I am slightly pissed off. Why do people assume that just because you've lived in London you'd know how to get ANYWHERE after hours? Besides, Clapham North is woop woop and I've never been there before.

22:14 - M msges back to say that he thinks there is another train that runs to Paddington. This is no good to me as he is talking about the Heathrow Express which will close around the same time as the tube as Heathrow's supposed to close at midnight. (Yeah go figure, the biggest financial capital of Europe shuts down at midnight. Who would have thought.)

23:09 - Speaking to a German guy who is supposed to be on the same wretched plane, he tells me that he thinks that planes may not be able to land in London once Heathrow shuts. Oh great. He tells me that he's going to check with the Aer Lingus staff.

23:13 - The German guys ambles back to me. He says that the staff have told him that they get ten exceptions a month to land in Heathrow after hours, and will do this tonight.

23:35 - Hooray! The Aer Lingus plane is here!

00:37 - In Heathrow now. Going to get my bags and try and figure out how to get to Clapham North.

00:55 - With bags in tow, I msg S to ask him for the mini cab number.

01:10 - I am directed by the security guard to go one level down to wait for the cab.

01:13 - Looks like the wrong level. I am directed by another security guard to go two levels up. This is getting annoying.

01:40 - In the mini cab now, thank God. I get chatting to the taxi driver who tells me that he would either like to live in Australia or Canada.

02:10 - The cab driver tells me I'm attractive (geez, really?) and asks me to marry him. (Oh crap.)

02:15 - Great. The taxi driver is lost - even with his GPS. This is getting awkward.

02:17 - I ask the taxi driver to just drop me off at Clapham North tube station and tell S to meet me there. I pay my 41 pounds and quickly get out of the cab.

03:20 - Okay, all booked now on BA at close to 250 pounds. Need sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home