Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Wonderful Seasons of Ireland

Spring


Summer


Autumn


Winter


The Irish always reminisce about the "wonderful summer" they had "x" number of years ago. The specific year, nobody can tell me. (Personally, I think they are delusional and have made this "wonderful summer" up in their heads.) A. who has been here for almost four years confirms that this "wonderful" summer" has never appeared during this time. After living here for two years, I have come to realise that the Irish weather has a fairly predictable pattern of:
- One week of sunshine around the bank holiday weekend in late May
- Rain, rain and more rain from June through to September
- Two weeks of glorious sunshine in September
- Cold and wet from the end of September through to May

I usually dry clean my big winter coat in late March, and then suffer the handful of days when it's cold enough to wear your big coat but refuse to because a)you've already dry cleaned the damn thing and b) out of principle, it really shouldn't be this cold in March/April.

One the rare occasion when Munster hits 19C/20C and is gloriously sunny, the Irish literally melt and complain that it is "too hot", and then ask me "how on earth can I cope with such warm weather back in Australia."

Pity the ginger.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home