Friday, August 03, 2007

More of Soggy England (and other "Stuff")

I did also go to Oxford, Bath, Bristol and the Stonehenge back in June/early July, but the weather was so soggy and unappealing that I didn't really feel like posting the photos on my blog. Well here are some of them anyway.....


(Above: The Eagle and Child - the favourite watering hole of Tolkien and C. S. Lewis. They use meet at the pub to have a pint or two, and engage in their literary musings. Naturally, I did no such thing apart from chow down a hearty pub meal.) The English have a penchant for calling their pubs "something-head" as in:
  • Nag's Head
  • Stag's Head
  • Queen's Head
  • King's Head
The only one I haven't seen is "Dick Head". Obviously no Richard owned a pub or was slaughtered for it when the huns came through :p


(Above: Christchurch University)

Stonehenge (aka total rip off). We refused to pay £6.50 to enter the gates - ("£6.50? That's like a pub meal!"). The privilege of paying £6.50 meant that you were just on the other side of the fence with the exact same view as what you see in this picture. (You can't go up close to it so we didn't see the point.)


Instead, I got a nice American tourist to take this photo for me :) And then we rang back to the car because it was raining.....

Bath:


(Above: The Baths in Bath - an unappealing green due to the lead content...)


(Above: Pirate luggage... What little pirates take on holiday..... AARRRGH.)

Totally off topic, one crappy (and ugly) friend's boyfriend once told me that i had cheekbones like the Queen ant in a Bug's Life - as in:


Charming. (At least he didn't say that my ass looked like that. His definitely did. Fond memories of him sitting on my beanbag and then bursting it.....And he didn't even offer to buy me a replacement!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home