Thursday, December 28, 2006

“Old McDonald Had a Farm….”

…..and now I live on one too….. From Monday – Thursday at least….. AAAARRGGHH!!!!! Nah, it’s not as nearly as bad as I thought. I think my first week as just a bad week for me overall seeing that I had a chest infection and was feeling very sorry for myself. I would have contemplated doing a lot of unspeakable things for half a jar of Vicks. (I was also resigning to the fact that I would have to hang myself in the paddock if I ever had to stay on the farm for a weekend.) It is extremely isolated and requires a drive “off the beaten track” for about 1.5 miles down a windy dirt road amongst the fields of wheat, orchards and sheep….. (Driving down the road in the dark kind of reminded me of Steven King’s “Children of the Corn”.) But on the bright side, the country air is clearer, the scenery can be beautiful, and I have my own self contained room with own bathroom, toilet and laundry. (Beats having to fight for the bathroom with 3 other girls….)

Pictured below are some scenic shots of the farm. (From left to right: view outside my window, "Jack" the farm horse, "Tigger" the farm cat. Yeah, the landlady sounds ridiculous when she's calling the cat back into the house.)


(Above left to right: crop of some sort, my car courtesy of my agency, the drive out of my street - the horsey has a fringe tee hee hee....)

Everybody has pet horses down in this area of the country. Hunting is a common hobby – they even go out wearing the hunting get-up (ie: Equestrian Barbie ensemble) – although I haven’t had a chance to ask whether they carry around a bugle. Apparently it’s getting rather difficult to go hunting for foxes as there are crazy animal activists who go around spraying bystanders with mace. (The last victim in the local newspaper was an 8 year old girl who was watching a hunt from her family’s car, and had to then be hospitalised.) I think they will start hunting animal activists shortly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home